[DeTomaso] Cold air inlet idea

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 5 11:51:34 EST 2019

Creating vented or "slotted" gills is a great idea to vent air FROM your engine compartment.  They will not draw air into the engine compartment.  Just follow a Pantera on a dusty or wet road sometime and watch all the dust or water that sprays out through the opening in the decklid and/or the quarter windows (if removed).  Air rushing over the car creates a vacuum over these openings that draws out the air (along with dust, dirt, water, etc.) that's sucked up from under the car as it goes down the road at highway speeds.

--- Original Message ---All,

I like that idea and was thinking about using a set of original grills and slotting out the underside of the fins.  If you slotted the length of each fin it should be more than enough CFM.  I see where a lot of people talk about needing those big elephant ears to get into the airflow, but when you look at pictures of string taped to the grills it look laminar.  Don't think you would get a ton of pressure, but should be something far better than the vacuum and heat of the original air filter position.  That and it would look more OEM from the outside of the car...I like sleepers...

Regards,
George