[DeTomaso] Cold air inlet idea

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Dec 4 16:51:35 EST 2019

Rich,

The problem is that this is a low-pressure (vacuum) area. Hall’s ‘elephant ear’ scoops work because they extend outward well past the boundary layer, and there is a measurable ram air effect. Your proposal would have your engine air inlet in a vacuum, which is no bueno.

Fresh air induction generally is certainly a good idea, but the inlet needs to be in a place with neutral pressure at the very least, but ideally in a place with positive pressure, and relatively cool air.

Recall that the 1973-74 Panteras came stock from the factory with a fresh air induction system mounted on the passenger side firewall that drew clean air from under the bottom of the car. It was probably very effective and beneficial, but almost everybody threw it away in an effort to look cool with a simple open air filter that draws hot ambient pressure air from the engine bay.

My ‘72 came to me with the cool-guy look, and I have made zero attempts to improve it by retrofitting a 1973-74 stock air induction system, even though there could be some incremental improvements in performance if I was to do so.

Mike

Sent from my iPad