[DeTomaso] Techno Question: Pre-L mufflers and L Panteras

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Dec 2 22:52:37 EST 2019

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 2, 2019, at 19:07, Charles Engles <cengles at cox.net> wrote:
>
> $$$$    Right, but they bolt right up to my Big Bore Headers and a well known Pantera personality told me that they look better and sound better than the Big Bore exhausts, which I also have sitting on a shelf.

>>>I’m sure there is a metal recycling place near you that would accept those Hall ‘mufflers’. Hall headers are an excellent match to stock tailpipes, but the mufflers are vile. I had a set for years that my conscience wouldn’t allow me to sell on eBay because I wouldn’t sleep at night knowing I had inflicted them on some poor unsuspecting soul. I finally gave them to Dan Jones for testing purposes/benchmarking against the stock mufflers. I’m sure they work better than the stock mufflers at making power, but at the cost of being hideous, and sounding terrible.
>

> $$$$    I think I will wrestle with the smaller problem of a right exhaust replacement  rather than the larger proposition of a better exhaust.     ....and Gerry Romack has shown that the Ansa mufflers can be gutted and modified for less boom and a bit more HP.
>

>>>True, there are gains to be had by performing muffler surgery, but the small tailpipes will always be a limiting factor.

I do think you should pass on that Pre-L muffler to somebody who could use it, and solicit the purchase of a proper L-Model muffler. You will likely need to buy a pair, which is no bad thing.

This begs the question—what is inspiring this search for a single replacement muffler? I sense a story just begging to be told....:)

Mike (just got done wrestling with a throttle cable end that unthreaded itself and fell off the cable at the gas pedal on Lori’s Pantera, requiring contortions and a few choice words to fix it...like Rosanne Rosannadanna used to say, “Its’s always sumpthin’....”.)