[DeTomaso] Fan light in speedo w/fan relay mod

Joe Jaffoni 427390 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 17:23:36 EDT 2019

I installed two two-speed Derale fans (pn 18212) using only their high
speed.  I used thermo switches in the radiator that I got from Bob Byars
(RIP) who told me that if I used them I didn’t need relays.  Well, the fans
and thermo switches work great but put a huge load on fuse 11 and at first
the fuse was getting a lot of oxidation on it quickly and creating a bad
connection and now the fuse is blowing all the time. I am following the
attached fan mod/relay wiring diagram which I believe will result in the
fan light in the speedo NOT working.

To make the dash indicator light on the speedo work with the revised wiring
I think I need to put the red and yellow wire that are together from the
original harness to the 87 terminal on the relay for one fan and the yellow
and blue wire that are together from the original harness to the 87
terminal on the other fan relay. From what I can tell from the wiring
diagram for the original harness, the two yellow wires (one is with a red
wire and one is with a blue wire) feed the positive side of the fans.

Has anyone done this OR how can I wire in the new 30 amp relays AND have
the fan light in the speedo continue to work? (I've scoured the boards and
forums and can't find a clear answer).

As always thank you in advance for any guidance/advice - Joe