[DeTomaso] Corvette C8, Yay or Nay.

Jack Dunn po917k at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 23:47:57 EDT 2019

Yay, based largely on the C8's dual clutch transaxle.
Two years ago, I drove a rented, supercharged V6 Lotus Exige S at Spa, Belgium, and the Nurburgring. It was a great car with 350 hp, light and fast, with manual gearbox. However, being a Lotus, it broke down at Nurburgring, and was replaced with a Porsche Cayman w/ PDK (dual clutch) transaxle.
I was initially disappointed, since I've always been a "manual trans only" guy. After a short drive, however, I was converted. The dual clutch shift is (near) instantaneous, much faster than any manual. And there is no power interruption between shifts. And I was also amazed that shifting during gentle town driving is instantaneous and imperceptible. It's like the theoretical "perfect shift" in a manual transmission, not humanly possible, as well as instantaneous. Amazing.
The payoff at Nurburgring for me was quicker laptimes in a heavier, less powerful car than the Lotus. I'm sold on this new technology.
I suspect that other manual transmission fans will be converted by the dual clutch transaxle in the C8 Corvette as well.
Jack