[DeTomaso] It's Back : (

audionut motonut audionut at mediacombb.net
Thu Apr 11 16:05:15 EDT 2019

Yikes.

There is air inside a ZF and where there is air, there is moisture. This is how pistons seize up in a sitting motor even when it is garaged.

The tiniest pocket of air, even in the driest of climate conditions, contains water. Unless some kind of corrosion-preventive maintenance is performed, metal will always corrode over time.

The unique construction of our beloved Panteras makes them especially vulnerable to this creeping, relentless form of car death.

One blink and rust happens!

Being an owner of quite a few vintage motorcycles, I have found a reliable way of protecting exposed metals: chain lube. I use a small paint brush to apply it or it can be sprayed into tighter areas without fear of damaging anything. Modern motorcycle chains have o-rings on each link so modern chain lubes are designed to not corrode rubber. Old rubber may not hold up as well as newer rubber.

Since chain lube is designed to stay put and not wash away easily, it works for a good long time. Even if rust is already happening, you can "wire brush" the fuzzy bits and lube
right over the top of it. This works great on exposed bolt hardware that give us all trouble when they rust up. I have done this for many years without experiencing any loosening of fasteners. (of course, do not apply before using the fastener)

WD40 also works as a metal protector but it tends to require more frequent applications.

Seems like it's only a candidate for parts? The interior looks good, but I'd worry that if any moisture got into the ZF it's beyond economic feasibility.
Ken