[DeTomaso] Engine Questions

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Apr 4 14:19:41 EDT 2019

All,

Here is one kind of stock timing pointer, available used here.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/15454-Timing-Pointer-351C-Used-1973-Mercury-Cougar-/-1973-Ford-Mustang.html

Miloden makes a 351C-specific pointer:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-65783

CJ Pony Parts sells a Ford-style 351C pointer too:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/engine-timing-pointer-351c-1970-1974/p/HW3106/

I can’t remember which kind of 351C pointer the Pantera used but I imagine either would work.

Mike

Sent from my iPad

   [1]https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/15454-Timing-Pointer-3
   51C-Used-1973-Mercury-Cougar-/-1973-Ford-Mustang.html

   Miloden makes a 351C-specific pointer:

   [2]https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-65783

   CJ Pony Parts sells a Ford-style 351C pointer too:

   [3]https://www.cjponyparts.com/engine-timing-pointer-351c-1970-1974/p/H

   On Apr 4, 2019, at 10:33, Julian Kift <[4]julian_kift at hotmail.com>

   [5]https://kevkoracing.com/products/part-f602-400-m-ford-pantera-pan

   <[8]richard at richardgreenblum.com> wrote:

   >   I'm at it with questions again...are 351C flywheels 164 tooth?
   >>>Yes.
   If you use a Fidanza flywheel they don't countersink the pressure plate
   mounting bolts properly. That takes a few minutes with a drill press to
   resolve.
   I have a Fidanza flywheel on my striker and it's great but there are
   definite trade offs. It lurches and bucks in traffic requiring clutch
   slipping. Simply not enough flywheel effect. If you are going to spend
   much time at low speeds or in traffic you might be happier with a stock
   flywheel. Plus you already have one so there is a cost savings there.

   > >  I'd like to know your experience/opinions on:
   >

   >   Water Pumps--Flowkooler vs. Edelbrock
   >>>Both are fine. Flowkooler made in China, Edelbrock 100% US made in
   Torrance CA. I use Edelbrock.

   > >  Oil Pans--Aviaid vs. Armando (Mike explained they're basically the
   same
   >   with Armando having come from Aviaid, but I thought there was some
   >   concern with the pan rails on Aramandos at one time)
   >>>They are identical. Both have issues because they start off using
   cheap Chinese stock pans as cores, then cut them apart to customize
   them.

   > >  Does anyone have a stock timing pointer they're willing to sell,
   or is
   >   this a prayer at a junkyard item?  Trying to avoid having to take
   it
   >   off the engine in the car...

   Pantera-specific?  Others would know far more than I would about that.

   use the links above.