[DeTomaso] Bottom color and windshild remowal

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Sep 28 18:14:14 EDT 2018

It is possible to R & R the windshield without removing the dash. What's not so certain is welding up any possible missing metal with the dash in place. The vinyl dash covering will necessarily be P.D.C. to any weld areas; a judgement call by your welder. Also note- it's not really necessary to completely remove the dash- maybe just pull it away a couple of inches and use wet towels to protect the vinyl. MIne was pitted but not perforated so heavy epoxy primer plus adding glass-specific RTV to the cavity worked for me.

Cutting the windshield gasket to remove the glass is easiest but gaskets are around $250. If your gasket is still quite flexible, removing it & reinstalling it via instructions on Mike Daily's PanteraPlace.com instructions should work. Expect gasket leaks around the body metal UNLESS you seal the installed gasket under the lips with glass-specific RTV, all the way around. Such RTV is transparent when cured and cleans easily if you do it soon after sealing the gasket edges. This is harder to do if you insist on reinstalling the stainless trim pieces. Good luck- J DeRyke