[DeTomaso] Instruments

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Sep 15 15:10:25 EDT 2018

 Jeff, that was me. I've disassembled lots of different gauges including Stewart-Warner, no-name E-Bay and those from DeTomaso both large OD and small. Over the decades, I've also written several POCA articles on doing this. Caveat: the bezels on most gauges are stamped chromed or blackened brass, and will only withstand so much bending before the brass work-hardens and cracks. Slow and easy is key. You only need to bend a little more than halfway around to release the bezel. If it cracks, you need a new bezel as repairs to the bezel-rings are impossible. Hall and others used to sell snap-on bezel-covers (black) for those trying for a monochome color scheme, or for covering cracked or pitted bezels. If all you want to do is eliminate fogging, carefully drill a 1/4" hole in the back for air access and let the gauge dry out for a day in a warm spot. Then use a plastic plug in your drilled hole.
FWIW- J DeRyke