[DeTomaso] The Restoration Files - Flush Windshield v/v Stock

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Sep 15 11:51:36 EDT 2018

Mike,

There are some truly awful windshield gaskets on the market. Larry Stock is the only US vendor I am aware of who still has some proper factory gaskets.  Roland sells them too.  I would definitely urge you to use one of them if you need to replace yours.

When your glass comes out you will likely find rust in the channel that will need to be replaced. This rust can be caused by improper installation of a gasket using conventional RTV instead of proper 3M windshield adhesive. Jack has said RTV is acidic and attacks sheet metal. Sheet metal fabrication will be necessary to fix it.

Once your channel is restored, it won’t fit the contours of the glass/rubber perfectly, because De Tomaso. So your installer will need to really load up the channel with sealant to keep the cabin dry.

Mike

Sent from my iPad