[DeTomaso] Oil cooler question

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 14:24:53 EDT 2018

Maybe; maybe not. Some owners running oil coolers do not use an oil thermostat. Their success may be due to most of us not really needing an oil cooler at all. I chose to run an oil thermostat on my experimental rig so as to not cool the oil when temperatures or the conditions I'm running do not need extra-cooled oil: eg- slow driving. Note that water cooling oil WILL raise water temps (about 5F while lowering oil temps about 20F); there's only so much total capacity in the car's cooling system. I run a Fluidyne rad with extra cooling capacity & those numbers are what I got.

As far as connecting the water cooling lines of an oil-water cooler to the heater fittings on the engine, you'll have to decide if changing the water flow through the cooler to less than half that designed for by the engineers who built it, will work for you: 1-1/2" OD rad' lines vs 5/8" OD heater lines. Again, if it works, that may only prove that the cooler wasn't needed in the first place. In my case it certainly wasn't, but I wanted to see if one would lower oil temps significantly on our mostly street car.