[DeTomaso] Oil cooler question

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Sep 11 14:30:39 EDT 2018

Jeff, if you really think your engine needs an oil cooler, consider the Laminova air-to-water unit. It is tubular and can be inserted into one of the undercar water lines by shortening one tube, replacing the removed section with the Laminova under the floor. It's take-off ends fit stock Gates Green Stripe hoses. Both D. Quella and I think the Laminova and the Fluidyne are equivalent in oil cooling (Ouella is a dealer) but the Laminova can be disassembled for cleaning while the Fluidyne is a welded, one-piece assembly that can never come apart.

In the event of an engine problem (or even running a bronze distributor gear for awhile), metal will accumulate inside any oil cooler. Some metal always comes out at inopportune times in a new motor's bearings, which is why welded one-piece coolers are seen for sale cheap at swap meets. I also recommend an oil thermostat so as to not over-cool oil on a mostly-street car. Pegasus Racing sells two types. The oil lines should be at least dash-8.

FWIW- J DeRyke
(who's had his Laminova mounted since 2002 and Quella's racer even longer, both with no problems)