[DeTomaso] Seals and windshild

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Oct 17 21:17:14 EDT 2018

Robert,

On the later cars (mid-73 and later) there is a fresh air induction system that introduces outside air into the heater box FIA a round standpipe in the right side of the cavity beneath and outboard of the wiper grilles.  There is a square plenum with a round trap-door lined with foam above the passenger’s feet.  When the lever on the dash is moved one way, outside air is brought in. Move the lever and the door swings to seal off the outside air and bring in air from the cabin.

The metal standpipe penetrates the sheetmetal in the area under the grilles and stands proud by about an inch. This prevents water from pooling in the area and pouring into the heater box. I suppose it’s possible that the join between this pipe and the body could be compromised.

But personally I doubt that’s your problem.....

Mike

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 17, 2018, at 13:43, Robert Stroj <npdrs at maui.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> yes, my car got a fresh air vent; are those known to leak?
> Any experience on how to solve that?
>
> I do expect this could be the problem as once I washed the car with nose parked slightly downhill there was no water coming in; next time I parked the opposite way and glow box was full of water.
> Since then I am no longer washing it with water, but still get major leaks in that area when I get caught in heavy rain.
>
> Can this want be reached by removing vents next to the wipers?
> Is there a seal in there that might be missing or went bad with age?
>
> Thanks, Robert

     etc.) use
     the links above.

     any
     list.
     They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or
     approve
     the archiving of list messages.
     etc.) use the links above.