[DeTomaso] Seals and windshild

Robert Stroj npdrs at maui.net
Mon Oct 15 16:49:01 EDT 2018

I am just in process of replacing my windshield seal as well as trying to
put end on my leaking issues in general.
I am getting seals from Rolland in Germany, as was suggested by Mike.
Old windshield seal will be cut out in order to avoid the risk of braking
the glass in removal process.

Was reading various posts on the forum but still have few questions if
someone would help with:

1) I seen in few posts that it is suggested to use 3M sealant when
installing the new windshield seal.
I removed/installed successfully few windshields or rear windows on
different cars using the soap/electrical wire technique, but really do not
understand how it would be possible to use sealant without creating a big
mess?
If I put it inside the seal channel before pulling the wire/rope I expect
lots of it will be coming out as I am pulling the wire, probably getting all
over the dashboard etc...
If I try to put it on metal edge before getting windshield in place I expect
it would similarly get pushed out while the rubber is being pulled in?
Could someone please share the actual technique used to install new weather
stripping using 3M windshield sealant?

2) I got a major leak problem at the front edge of my doors; just around the
fuse panel.
Car originally cam e with very small round profile for the door seals and I
always thought this was the problem.
Replaced the seal with much larger one I got from Pantera Performance and
now doors do not close that nice any more, but still have a leak problem in
that area.
Was wondering is my doors are moved too far back, but, all the gaps actually
look really good and even....
Rolland suggested I should put silicone between my drip rails and body to
prevent water sipping between the two; will do this, but not sure if it will
be enough to stop this leak.
Did anyone have similar experiences/problems and found how to resolve it?
I have upper window channel seal installed (the one that sits on outside
edge of the doors), but it is "curled-back"; is this the normal, correct way
how this seal should sit when doors are closed?
Could someone please share a close-up picture of this area with doors shut,
to be able and see if this seal should maybe be bent-out?

Thanks a lot, Robert