[DeTomaso] NPC: my Mom¹s Buick on BaT

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 17:12:12 EST 2018

> As has been commented on, the 2-speed tranny would appear to detract from
the drivability

The Buick 300 used the GM corporate Buick/Olds/Pontiac bellhousing bolt
pattern.  A 200R4 4 speed automatic overdrive (as used in Buick Grand
Nationals) should bolt up.

> Rebuilding old Buick V8's might seem easy enough on the surface, but they
are a bit tricky.  Few shops out there know how to do them right.

The Buick 300 is separate from the nailhead family.  It's actually related
to the cast iron Buick V6 and 215 aluminum V8 families.  It's essentially a
tall deck cast iron version of the aluminum Buick 215 V8 and an 8 cylinder
version of the 225 cubic inch Buick cast iron V6 (225*8/6 = 300).  In 1964
only, the Buick 300 used aluminum cylinder heads and intake manifold.  For
1965, Buick reverted to cast iron for both the heads and intake.  With the
aluminum heads and intake, the Buick 300 was quite light at around 400
lbs.  Note that were no aftermarket aluminum intake manifolds for the Buick
300.

Anyone that can rebuild an old 231 (3.8L) Buick V6 should be able to
rebuild the Buick 300.  If anyone is interested, I think I have a spare
Buick 300 squirreled away, along with a variety of other parts.  I have
core, rebuilt and ported big valve versions of the 1964 Buick 300 aluminum
heads, along with aluminum 4 barrel intakes and matching Rochester 4GC
carbs, though many use the Carter/Edelbrocks AFBs on these engines.  Be
aware you can fit the longer stroke Buick 340/350 crankshafts to increase
the displacement and there are a few different combinations to use
off-the-shelf rods and pistons to stroke the Buick 300.  Back it up with a
200R4 4 speed automatic overdrive transmission and it would be a
surprisingly strong runner.

Dan Jones