[DeTomaso] NPC: my Mom¹s Buick on BaT

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Fri Nov 30 15:55:50 EST 2018

Hey Mike--
Fun little ragtop to be sure!
As has been commented on, the 2-speed tranny would appear to detract
from the drivability of the car on modern highways but, I have to say
it oughta do just fine.
My 65 Riviera/401/3-speed automatic will hit 120 without breaking a
sweat, and with throttle to spare.
This Special ought to be able to do 75 all day without straining.
One thing though--  I was not surprised to hear that the motor had
been twice rebuilt.
Rebuilding old Buick V8's might seem easy enough on the surface, but
they are a bit tricky.  Few shops out there know how to do them right.
 They do the same thing they do to SBC's and SBF's, guarantee them for
12K or so, which usually works out for them, and then the motor conks
out again.
I bought my Rivy with 152K on the clock, 24K of it on a rebuilt motor.
 Within a few months it blew a head gasket.
Extensive research into finding a good "nailhead" mechanic turned up
knowledge that your typical rebuild shop will most likely neglect
critical details in head work that result in premature failure.
Russ Martin in Grass Valley may be a good reference for whoever buys
it.   They may at some point desire a rebuild that lasts.
 Sent using Hushmail
On 11/30/2018 at 10:36 AM, "Thomas Törnblom"  wrote:I’ve seen the
car live, and your mom was rightfully very proud of it!

Sad to have to let it go.

Send our regards to your mom Mike!

Cheers,
Thomas and Karin

[1]https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-buick-special-convertible/

>>  Mike
>>  Sent from my iPad
>>
>> References
>>
>>  1.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-buick-special-convertible/

>> To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe,
etc.) use
>> the links above.
>>
>> Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward
any
>> message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the
list.
>> They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or
>> approve the archiving of list messages.

etc.) use the links above.

> !DSPAM:5c01540481917515789!

use the links above.