[DeTomaso] Speedometer Repair Options?

Mike Reilly reillyms at live.com
Sat Nov 17 13:11:36 EST 2018

Hi all. My speedo recently began making a loud screeching noise occasionally.  I recently replaced the speedo cable which fixed a bouncing needle problem.  Anyway, I pulled the speedo to check things our further and noticed that when I moved or shook it there was a rattling sound like there’s something loose inside bouncing around similar to a small screw or something.  This may be my cause for the screeching noise.

I’ve searched the forum and other sources and found some repair shops folks have used (Palo Alto Speedo and North Hollywood Speedo).  Being in Seattle we have Seattle Speedometer Repair which is a one man shop.  Any feedback on either PA or NH speedo repair?

It is easy to disassemble the speedo?  I don’t want to mess up the bezel tabs and even if I opened it up I won’t have the knowledge or parts to fix what’s ever loose in there.

Thanks, Mike