[DeTomaso] Captivating...long but P.C. really, you'll see.

laurieferrari at aol.com laurieferrari at aol.com
Thu Nov 15 18:49:05 EST 2018

I realize this is late but I first wrote it Nov 11th, then sent in an attachement. I don't believe it ever got through and so I'll begin by paying my belated respects for this past Veteran's Day in remembering and expressing extreme gratitude to all of you who have served or are now serving our great Nation, that includes both of my dads and three of my four brothers.
 Secondly, I thought you might be interested in how I spenthours the other night and into the wee morning on the POCA Website.  Imagine such a thing, I was actually captivated by the POCA Web Site!  It began as I was in process of submitting an article forProfiles and one picture I have needs a caption. It will show the twin turbo-charged, electronic fuel injected Pantera of Jim Kilpatrick with a thank you note to hisengine builder (Lance) for doing his engine. I knew that Mr. Kilpatrick was President of POCA at one time, but didn’tknow the years.  So, being a member ofPOCA, I knew I had access to ALL the Newsletters and Profile Magazines "On-line" fromthe inception of the Club on the POCA Website. As there was no list of just officers and years served, I began perusingeach and every Profile magazine from the 70’s. I indeed found that Mr. Kilpatrick was President in 1988.   But that wasn’t all I found, I found eachedition so interesting with articles such as Dick Guldstrand (who I knew inperson and sadly attended his funeral) and knew he was a major figure in Corvette History and is in theCorvette Hall of Fame) and knew he had something to do with Panteras long ago, but I learned that he actually was quite involved, and was the guest speaker for large Pantera Meeting (nearly sixty Panterasin attendance) at the Proud BirdRestaurant in 1974 (story May ’74 edition). He spoke of his visit to Italy andwork with DeTomaso and his experiments on the GT4 and his purpose, “Getting themost power to the ground.”   Otherinteresting articles like Gary Hall being interviewed by Mike Drew (Fall ’91edition) with all sorts of well thought out and interesting questions about his business, his pricing strategies on parts, about the painter he used, about his Supercars, and quite helpful maintenancesuggestions. Then stories of Wally Wyss maneuvering his way into the factory atModena and test driving cars without an invitation, pictures and stories ofraces in Riverside, the beginnings of Vegas parties, a story of a man, afterhis years of love for his 62 Corvette becoming a proud and thrilled Panteraowner, another article from a fellow who thought he’d “Moved up to a Ferrari” after being a Panteraowner, later to come to the realization that he had to get rid of his Ferrari and “Move up toa Pantera” once again…. Just so many fascinating stories and interviews and picturesof people I never knew or heard of.  Thenseeing all the officers and support positions with so many familiar names andpeople I do know like the Bernatzcke’s and Erickson’s who have been involvedsince way far back!  So many greatstories from people, some here and a good many no longer with us, but one thing is for sure, there's aspecial bond that exists that transcends time, through our DeTomasos.  All of this, truly captivating!   As the night flew byI read on, going to edition after edition and listed all the Presidents I found‘til I fell asleep somewhere around 1991. Could have finished if I didn’t stop to read so many of the stories!  Here’s what I got so far, and can continue onanother otherwise plan-less night.  Perhaps you have other interesting tales to share about these folks and times.  Partial President list:  Dennis Mashburn (75/76), Steve Ford (75), DickGoetz (77), Dick Tunison (77), Vic Manuelle (79), Bob Cleaves (80/81), OwenWeyers (82), Andy Jarema (82/83), Weldon Brown (83-85), Matt Stone (86), Robin Young(87), Jim Kilpatrick (88), Les Gray (89), Don Peak (90), Les Gray again (90),Don Peak again (91)……. To be continued.  I also found other interesting facts like Dave Adler was once Editor ofProfiles and just so much fascinating historical info.
The main point I’d like to make here is, if you are not aPOCA member you do not have access to this plethora of nostalgic wealth!   Nowisn’t that a great reason to finally justify the $75 and consider it a bargain.    Good Christmas/Holiday gift to yourself or a loved one. (Did I really just say that?  Yes, I did).  : ) Yours truly, Laurie