[DeTomaso] AC Condenser: Front Mount vs. Stock Rear Location

JFFR pantera at vtc.net
Sat Nov 3 09:46:19 EDT 2018

I switched to a front mounted air conditioning condenser four years ago
and I am totally pleased with the results, however my car is unique in
that I have an exhaust crossover that is located below the air condenser
inlet. There was a definite drop in air conditioning efficiency after
that crossover was installed. With the front mounted condenser the
outlet air is cooler than it ever was and it allowed me to install an
oil cooler where the condenser was located in the rear of the car. A
front mounted condenser will increase your water temperature a bit,
however in my case it was almost hard to measure it because I am using
an all aluminum engine, which at near 100 degree ambient temperatures
will run on the thermostat. If you have a Cleveland block and are
questionable about your air flow through the radiator and water
temperature, it might not be a good idea to make the switch. The stock
system when using R-12 actually works quite well. If you switch to R-134
it would be a good idea to install a high low pressure switch in the
system because R-134 runs at high pressure than R-12.