[DeTomaso] Coolant Article

Thomas Törnblom thomas at hax.se
Fri Nov 2 05:03:20 EDT 2018

About measuring the voltage of the coolant in the radiator, this article
describes my theory very nicely, where they have two different
multimeters showing different voltage.

I believe the issue is not that there is a voltage in the coolant, the
issue is that the setup works as a battery/galvanic cell/voltaic cell,
where the aluminum radiator is one of the electrodes (cathode), the
coolant is the electrolyte and the multimeter test lead is the other
electrode (anode), and depending on the alloy of the test lead you will
read a different voltage. The difference between the two multimeters
depend on different metals being used for the meters test leads. Had
they swapped the test leads between the two meters I believe the voltage
readings would also have been swapped.

If they had used a strip of aluminum as electrode instead of the test
lead the voltage would likely have been zero as the two electrodes are
then made of similar metal and thus will not have an electrical
potential between them.

Reducing the conductivity of the coolant will reduce the galvanic
corrosion, so de-ionized or distilled water will help that. I have no
comments on wether that has other implications for aluminum, I am no
chemist :)

/Thomas

Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:    thomas at hax.se
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 32 31 18
              S - 754 40 Uppsala, Sweden  Mobile:   +46 76 209 8320

-------------- next part --------------
[...]

   1. [1]https://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech-stories/fuel-cooling-ignition-tech
/antifreeze-chemistry/

   Hidden links:
   3. [2]https://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech-stories/fuel-cooling-ignition-tech
/antifreeze-chemistry/

!DSPAM:5bdbaaea2449152292657!

nks above.

Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message p
osted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant
the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of lis
t messages.

Real life:   Thomas Toernblom             Email:    [5]thomas at hax.se
Snail mail:  Banvallsvaegen 14            Phone:    +46 18 32 31 18
             S - 754 40 Uppsala, Sweden  Mobile:   +46 76 209 8320