[DeTomaso] Fidanza flywheel/ARP bolts warning

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun May 27 18:06:19 EDT 2018

All,

I recently installed a new Fidanza aluminum flywheel and McLeod clutch. The Fidanza flywheel was about $200 less than a McLeod flywheel. Along the way I learned some stuff from Dennis Quella.

1). ARP males great bolts but their Ford pressure plate bolts don’t cut it—they are too short!  I had found this out myself previously. I had a different aluminum flywheel and McLeod clutch and when I went to torque the bolts, they stripped!  It turns out the hole in the aluminum flywheel is countersunk and the ARP bolts were only engaging about two threads. I chose to have the flywheel machined for larger/longer Chevy bolts and enlarged the holes in the pressure plate instead of using helicoils.

Then under-head length of the McLeod pressure plate bolts is about 1/4 inch longer than ARP bolts plus included washers: