[DeTomaso] dim hazard switch light

Matt nwpantera at gmail.com
Wed May 16 22:28:27 EDT 2018

Well it's simple.
Place back gracefully on floor pan. Locate terminals and write down wire
colors and sequence. This is a challenge in itself.
After that process I felt satisfied enough to remove myself and regain my
composure and circulation.
Dive back in and remove the wires making sure to not yank the 45 year old
wire out of the 45 year old terminal with was probably installed 45 years
ago.
It is helpful to loosen the nut first so you can hang on to the interior
side of the switch while doing this.
Obviously try to pull them off by gripping the terminal and not just the
wire. Ok I'll tell you how I know this.
In a fit of furious fumbling with knuckles scraping and fingers failing, I
gave one last yank and out came a fingerful of wire.
So they might not just slip off easily as planned. At least mine sure
didn't. Try some wiggling to help loosen them up.
Make sure to put on the new switch retaining ring and nut on loosely before
re-attaching the leads.

I thought I'd be able to take off the nut behind and pull out the switch
and then replace the wires kind of civil like,
but with the leads on it won't fit through the hole, at least not on my car.
Good luck Terry, let me know how it goes.
Matt

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 3:15 PM, Himes, Terry (397C) <
terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Thanks for sharing this. I just received mine and plan to install it next
> week.  Please me us
> (or just me) updated on your progress.
>
> Terry
>

> "A Purple Heart proves you were smart enough to hatch a plan,
>  stupid enough to try it and lucky enough to survive!"
>
> Terry W. Himes
> JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
> Dawn Spacecraft Team
> Rosetta Sequence Team Lead
> Phone: (818) 393-6261
> Cell:     (818) 653-8213
> thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
> 🇺🇸
>
> On 5/16/18, 12:43 PM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Matt" <
> detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of nwpantera at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>      I installed a replacement hazard flasher switch purchased on
>     ebay. The only apparent difference between the new and the old is a
> small
>     diode
>     soldered between the tabs.
>     I also replaced the flasher as it was non functional as well.
>     Everything works as expected except that now with the car running the
>     hazard switch displays a dimmish light all the time.
>     I don't recall it doing this with the old switch.
>     I double checked to make sure the leads were hooked up as before.
>     I can only surmise it has something to do with the additional diode.
> Maybe
>     a "safety" feature?
>     I don't really like the idea of a red light on all the time on the
> dash.
>     Anybody have any ideas why this switch would be lit up and how to fix
> it?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Matt
>     3584