[DeTomaso] Replacement Seats

Scott Mead Photography scott at scottmeadphotography.com
Tue May 15 20:55:44 EDT 2018

To throw my $.02 into the discussion, when I was getting ready to revamp my interior, I looked at the specs and "test sat" in a bunch of different aftermarket seats, but just couldn't find anything that would fit in the car, and I was comfortable in. Wilkinson suggested using the stock seats as a base, and then sculpting them a bit - build in additional bolster and lumbar support, yet lowering the cushion a bit and keeping the stock look. The little voice in the back of my head kept saying "your back and azz are gonna hurt WAY MORE than they do now," but I let Steve's upholsterer do his thing. Looking at the finished product, it looks like a stock '73 seat (trimmed in leather), but it's gotta be the most comfortable, long-haul seat I've ever sat my keister in. I can easily go through a full tank of fuel and not feel fatigued (as others have noted, your mileage may vary). I wish I had a set of these suckers in my daily driver, but they'd look really out of place in a 4Runner...