[DeTomaso] Replacement Seats

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Tue May 15 16:20:12 EDT 2018

Ah yes....the ever-present Pantera seat dilemma.  May I venture to say
that everyone deals with it, everyone figures it out and no single
solution works for everyone?
I also fall into the "back to stock now having tried other seats"
club.
The stock seat in my 73L was no good for my bony and narrow backside--
all my weight rested on my tailbone directly on the hard seat center
and nowhere else.
If one's butt is wide enough, the stock cushions will support your
weight without your tail hitting bottom but for me pain would set in
after 10 minutes of driving.
C4 Corvette seat to the rescue!  Much more comfortable but it set me
higher and my head now grazed the cockpit ceiling.  Also, I couldn't
get the passenger seat to fit properly without cutting/modifying
things.  Couldn't bring myself to do that nor could I suffer the tacky
look of mismatched seats.   I ended up trying out a pair of good
quality custom sheepskins over the stock seats, stuffing a piece of
foam to cushion my tail under the driver side cover and now I'm good
for hours on the road.
The C4 seats are now fancy porch furniture and holding up quite well.
 Sent using Hushmail
On 5/15/2018 at 12:42 PM, "Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso"  wrote:Strictly
opinion, but stock early Pantera 2-piece seats can be made comfortable
to nearly everyone in a few minutes. The backs are held in by two
pivot bolts near your hips, and two straps in back. The straps can be
slotted so seat rake can be adjusted. I pinned aluminum knobs onto
stock bolts so I can change rake while underway. I'm 6'2" and my
helmet does not touch the roof with a comfortable seat rake. When Judy
(5'2") drives, I straighten up the seat rake so she's also
comfortable. A semi-flat firewall makes the passenger seat comfortable
as well. With the seat raked and slid back, my toes cannot touch the
firewall! Makes me laugh when people talk of how nice  'Vette seats
are, of which most are take-outs because they weren't comfortable for
their original owners.
My 2¢- J DeRyke