[DeTomaso] Shift Happens - Broken Motor Mount Bolt

Larry Stock larrys at panteraparts.com
Mon May 14 23:37:52 EDT 2018

Mike not to bore everyone with a bunch of engineering specifications for
each comparative bolt design, you all can read about all these details
here at
http://tinelok.com/grade-5-vs-grade-8-fasteners/
The conclusion basically sums it up;
Getting back to the original question, “which fastener grade should I
use?” We hope it’s very clear by now that grade 8 fasteners are far
superior to grade 5 fasteners. If this is so, then why do the automotive
manufacturers use some grade 5 fasteners? The automotive OEM’s use what it
needs to be safe and nothing more since there is a difference in cost
between grade 5 and grade 8 (or metric 8.8 and 10.9). Since the OEM’s
manufacture millions of vehicles each year, the difference in a few cents
per fastener adds up to a lot for them.

Larry Stock