[DeTomaso] "proper" radiator fan sensor location??

B Hower b.hower3400 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 17:58:42 EDT 2018

Yes, my Ron Davis has a top bleed port.

Bud #3400 ( Drive it like there is no tomorrow -- for there may not be ! )

    On Wednesday, March 28, 2018, 2:36:36 PM CDT, Julian Kift <julian_kift at hotmail.com> wrote:

   IMO sensor location can be either inlet or outlet; I would look at it
  like a simple control loop which can be feed forward (predictive) or
  feedback (reactive). What will change between the two locations is the
  sensor temperature setting that triggers the fans, the inlet side
  requiring a higher temp rating by the anticipated degrees of cooling
  across the radiator to get to a predictive output.

  With a large Ron Davis radiator and big ass fans one would hope that
  the limitation of the cooling system is not the radiator, so it has
  more cooling capacity than required under most circumstances. I
  installed a controllable fan thermostat so one can make initial
  adjustment to have the engine run at your desired optimal temperature.
  Whatever be sure to choose an engine thermostat and fan thermostat
  temperature range that compliment each other and not fighting.

  On the question of inlet and outlet locations on the radiator I am in
  two minds and would welcome expert opinion. The water pump is a suction
  pump and thus a bottom radiator outlet provides more head to it
  and could decrease any tendency for cavitation. Conversely a top exit
  could help air rise and escape (albeit the exit is not at the top of
  the tank), does the Ron Davis have a top bleed capability?

  Julian