[DeTomaso] Misdiagnosing an oil pressure issue

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 22:07:12 EDT 2018

Years ago, I noticed in right hand turns my oil pressure would suddenly
drop.  It was alarming so I took right hand turns very slowly.  Sometimes
it would drop in left hand turns too.

I didn't know if I had safety wires for my -1 ZF ring gear and I had stock
2 piece valves so I thought it was a good time to do some familiar
maintenance.  I thought extreme measures were called for so I even got a
deep pan to install.

ZF turned out to already be safety wired.  Yay.  The old pan came off and
wow!  All the valve seals had disintegrated and settled in the pan!
Problem solved!  I cleaned it out and ran solvent through all the galleys
and block, installed the pan and put rebuilt heads on and painted the block.

I had the same problem in left and right hand turns.  And it was getting
worse!  I assumed I had missed a few flakes of valve seal and I was going
to have to take the motor out again.

One day I started it up and had no oil pressure at all!  It did eventually
come back but I did discover some other odd problems had been mounting and
wiggling the fuses helped.  I wire brushed them (a little copper wire
brush) and it helped but I still had some trouble.  I noticed some of the
rivets were loose so I set them with a wide awl struck with a hammer.  That
tightened them up, my lights and instruments seemed more reliable and I
went about my business.

I had some long left and right hand sweepers today on the way to a car show
and I noticed the pressure did not drop the entire drive.  It's been years
since I put the motor back in and a year since I set all the fuses and I
just... never noticed.  It just works.  Everything works.

So anyway, I'm kind of a dumbass but at least the issue is resolved and I
can take some curves in the Pantera like I always imagined doing :)

sean

--
'65 Suprang,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera #1382