[DeTomaso] NPC - interesting design story - 240Z

Himes, Terry (397C) terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 13 16:17:49 EDT 2018

Fun Story:

Since seeing my first Pantera in 1973 I was always looking for a Pantera. In 1980 I found one for sale in Philadelphia. I was living in
Cherry Hill, NJ at the time. It was at a Datsun (Now Nissan) dealership. A sales person had it, and it had been restored and upgraded.
But it was way out of my price range.  He said, why don’t you take a look at this 1980 280z (demo). It was black & gold (two-tone) and
looked nice so I took it for a spin. When I came back, he said “Why don’t you take it home for the weekend” and leave your Mustang here.
(old salesman trick). I did and loved it. Not the famed 240z but it was a sweet car, which I put 286,000 miles on.  I sold it for $500 and
it was still running strong.

Ice Story:
When my daughter was learning how to drive, I still had the 280z. I told her she needed to learn to drive a stick… so she did.  When we
had a big snow and ice storm, I took her to the high-school parking lot and she learned how to recover from a spin-out.  We did spins
and donuts until the cops showed up. ;-)  They were actually supportive and let her ride-along while they did spins, while driving
forward and backwards.

Terry

Terry W. Himes
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory