[DeTomaso] Values of cars

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Fri Mar 9 09:05:20 EST 2018

Dear Mike,

          You wrote:

     " Sadly, I honestly don’t believe there is a man alive qualified to
render expert judgement with respect to originality in all areas on a
Pantera. Unlike other marques, ours is unique in that originality was
never valued and modifications were prevalent even when the cars were
new (between Ford efforts and owner hot-rodding). The innumerable design
changes as the cars were being built means that the trivial details
literally changed week to week on the assembly line. Thus it’s
impossible to state with certainty all the details that would be ‘right’
for a specific car.
        One would think Pantera vendors would have a better handle on
this than most, but they never cared about it one bit. They couldn’t
wait to rip off all the original stuff and load them up with their
aftermarket parts.  I doubt even Gary Hall would have been able to act
as a true arbiter of what is ‘right’ for a particular car, and that is
really saying something.

      There have only been a handful of time warp cars saved.

        Steve Wilkinson bought three GT5-S cars brand new, and
mothballed one of them after a short period of driving it. He is now
reconditioning it for sale, and working hard to return it to original.
Even he had to struggle a bit though, as he had started modifying it
right away when he first bought it. He phoned me asking for help with
the original air cleaner. He still had it, but couldn’t figure out how
it was installed (the later cars had a very strange configuration). I
was able to find original period magazine articles and scan engine bay
photos which revealed what he needed to know...."

        $$$$$$$$   That is a very accurate observation and commentary
about Panteras, specifically, and DeTomaso in general.

                                  Warmest regards, Chuck Engles