[DeTomaso] Fwd: Values of cars

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 16:06:57 EST 2018

eBay is a great way to get virtually no cost Worldwide exposure for a car (or any vehicle, boat, RV etc.) but their's 'no such thing as a free lunch' as they say! For cars the listing is free, commission on sale $125, so still damn cheap comparatively (especially as auto parts etc. are 10% of final value, plus forced Paypal use at another 3-5% fees). But for that you have to deal with all the deadbeat bidders and a company that is making money hand over fist, so really doesn't give a rats ass. For the deadbeats you have to file a non paying bidder complaint to have the fee lifted, it's a PITA but that's the only way and then you wait until the mandatory payment period is over and given them every opportunity to pay. I think the non paying bidding has become more prevalent of late, but maybe just a small percentage of the shear volume of sales eBay now has. You can now stipulate automatic bid removal of anyone with a low feedback score to try and stave off the newly registered bidder, but often it's supposedly hacked accounts that have feedback.

Circling back to Ken's original question/comment I wonder if the organization that collect information for sales statistics (e.g. Hagerty Valuation) are able to weed out a real sale vs. fictitious?

Be aware that if you sell more than 6 vehicles in a year you become a 'trader' under eBay policy, then you pay something like a $50 listing fee, although the final fee may be less, but there's more incentive to get it sold first time. The stupidity of eBay's policy is if you list the same vehicle for sale 6 times even if it doesn't sell, you become a trader. I had a battle with eBay on that very issue after having sold 2 vehicles but suddenly being considered a trader. That designation could also have tax implications as I believe eBay now reports sales over a combined $$ value to the IRS.

Julian

> From: Mike Gilmore <mgilmore11 at mchsi.com>
> Date: March 8, 2018 at 10:45:05 CST
> To: Mike Drew <MikeLDrew at aol.com>
> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Values of cars
>
> Hi Mike! And take that "sold" with a grain of salt. There has been quite a bit of posts on Ferrarichat , that per Ebay(FLEABAY) rules, bids on cars and real estate, are NON binding. Why they have such a rule? That just lets the deadbeats bid on the cars, with no intention of buying them. Looking under that SOLD section, of Ferrari's, Mustangs, and others, I would see some cars listed as sold, 4, 5, 6 times. I emailed a few of the seller's, and everyone of them said the deadbeat winning bidder's, never followed thru with payment. One man had sold a Ferrari for $200,000, he said he got no response from the winning bidder, but Ebay wanted him to pay them, (I think), the amount was $200.00, for the listing. I suggested, he get in touch with Ebay, & tell them to collect the the $200.00 from the  deadbeat winning bidder, since he still has the car, but Ebay has it listed as SOLD.   Best regards, mike gilmore
>
>> On 3/7/2018 8:48 PM, Mike Drew via DeTomaso wrote:
>> John,
>>
>> If the car sells on eBay the final sale price will be shown. I think the auction disappears after 90 days.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On Mar 7, 2018, at 19:43, <gt40 at sbcglobal.net> <gt40 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Re: Ebay, I see many P's for sale there, but is there are way to see what they actually sold for? Or are my techie skills so low that I'm missing how to find that info out? (highly likely!)
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>>> -----Original Message----- From: Ken Green via DeTomaso
>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 12:56 PM
>>> To: Detomaso Email List
>>> Subject: [DeTomaso] Values of cars
>>>
>>> Was watching an auction (or looking at cars on ebay) and with the resolution of the images, how can you ever tell the value of the cars?  It seems pretty clear that there is a huge difference between a car that looks good from 10 feet, and one that is nearly perfect, and had a lot of money spent to reach that level.  I can imagine a professional appraiser taking that into account, but seems hard for the average buyer.  I  think some of the other marques have developed standards?
>>> Ken

server.detomasolist.com
This is the DeTomaso mailing list, a free and open forum for the discussion of issues surrounding all DeTomaso automobiles. This is an unmoderated mailing list ...