[DeTomaso] Clutch master/slave

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jun 24 15:49:42 EDT 2018

Les,

Not all replacement masters are created equal. The ones with DETOMASO cast in the side are legendarily junk.

I was with a couple of Pantera vendors at an event a few years back and they were talking about them. One said “I have a huge box of defective ones that customers have returned”.  The other then said, “I bet my box is bigger than your box!”  Then they both had a good laugh. I didn’t think it was especially funny, because I know how difficult it is to change the damn things.

The only quality factory clutch master cylinders I’m aware of come from either Roland Jäckel in Germany, or Marino Perna of Pantera East (who imports them from Germany).   I can’t speak to Brand X replacements from Wilwood etc.

Lori’s car had one of the DETOMASO units and it failed when about three years old (well past when some have failed—some were bad right out of the box) so we replaced it with one from Marino, which has been going strong for seven years now.

My vintage 1993 NOS Italian unit finally failed a few weeks ago. I plan to replace it with one of Marino’s, and then try to get a rebuild kit to restore my old one to have as a spare.....

Mike

Sent from my iPad