[DeTomaso] Preparing a car for long term storage

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 09:56:09 EDT 2018

I used the fogger when winterizing my boat each season in combination with the fuel stabilizer, be sure to run the engine after adding the fuel stabilizer to get it distributed through the fuel lines and carb, then fog until it chokes the engine. Jeff Cobb summed up the rest of the necessary stuff to ensure you can come back and drive your car, but you're going to spend the first week of vacation getting back on the road!

That said my focus would be more on where you are storing it (not exact location because that should remain a closely guarded secret!) but type of storage? Is this a one car lockup or a multi car facility? You have a very coveted car of which few were made and your's is the prototype, security would be my biggest concern.

Here in the US there are companies with warehouses dedicated to this type of thing where they look after your vehicle, start it regularly and valet it prior to your return. I would find one of those facilities or a good fried you can trust with caretaker ship. This would likely aid in insurance coverage as well, which you definitely need to check off on for long term storage as some insurers are very particular about vehicles/homes left unattended for long periods.

Julian