[DeTomaso] NPC - securing your garage door

billmoore6480 billmoore6480 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 00:03:44 EDT 2018

And you also have those damn dogs !

CheersBill MooreCalgary4038604300
-------- Original message --------From: Julian Kift <julian_kift at hotmail.com> Date: 2018-06-12  9:41 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: Larry Finch <fresnofinches at aol.com>, detomaso at server.detomasolist.com Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] NPC - securing your garage door
Whilst we are on the subject thieves broke into our garage slightly differently, they pushed a wedge between the door and header, then used a coat hanger to fish the emergency release cord and release the door.

As I was working away in Canada for long periods at the time I probably went overboard for my solution, but was actively upgrading the house to allow remote access to as much as possible (HVAC, irrigation, alarm).

For the main attached garages I have since changed to the jack shaft style openers, mainly as I wanted the extra headroom, but being mounted on the wall they do solve the e-cord particular problem. In addition the new units came with power locks that activate once the door hits the lower close limit, preventing the door being lifted by hand. I assume those would be available to retrofit to many existing openers. The modern upgrade also provided access via an app that allows me to use my smart phone for open/close and let's me know the state of each door.

For the detached garage I zip tied the release mechanism attached to the emergency pull cord, which makes it almost impossible to get the release activated from the angle a thief has, but with enough force you can still break the zip tie from directly underneath in an emergency situation. All five doors are now also linked in to the alarm, with contacts.

Then we added a remote access smartphone viewing 8 camera security system with IR night vision!

If all that fails the last resort is a .45 Magnum...

Julian