[DeTomaso] Ford 3G alternator

Thomas Törnblom thomas at hax.se
Fri Jul 27 16:11:03 EDT 2018

I just saw a photo from a Swedish owner that shows a 180 degree alternator. Looks like there is a difference between US an AUS engines, where the alt is mounted to the A/C compressor bracket, while my alternator is mounted on one of the threaded holes on the passenger side head. The tensioner is different too.

It will probably take some effort to mount a Ford alternator on my car.

Thomas

> 27 juli 2018 kl. 19:53 skrev Thomas Törnblom <thomas at hax.se>:
>
> Thanks Mike!
>
> Saw the FB video, you’re just having too much fun as always 😎
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas
>
>> 27 juli 2018 kl. 18:18 skrev Mike Drew <MikeLDrew at aol.com>:
>>
>> Thomas,
>>
>> Stephane Bergeron uses alternators from DB Electric. They normally come with a serpentine belt pulley but they custom make them with a V-groove pulley for him. I have one for him sitting at home that I can look at when I get back from Oshkosh.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jul 27, 2018, at 10:27, Thomas Törnblom <thomas at hax.se> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m contemplating replacing my Bosch alternator with a 130A Ford 3G unit, mostly to be able to use sense leads from the battery to the regulator.
>>>
>>> I know others have done this and I would like to know what model/application they’ve used.
>>>
>>> The Bosch alternator in my car has obviously been replaced at some time before I got the car, as it is a 90A VW/Audi unit. The original engine is Australian, with a Bosch/Motorcraft distributor, and I guess it may have come with a Bosch alt originally.
>>>
>>> The mounts are spaced about 120 degrees and the pictures I’ve seen of 3G units seems to be either 180 or less than 90 degrees so I’m not sure what would fit.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Thomas