[DeTomaso] Ford 3G alternator

Thomas Törnblom thomas at hax.se
Fri Jul 27 11:27:40 EDT 2018

I’m contemplating replacing my Bosch alternator with a 130A Ford 3G unit, mostly to be able to use sense leads from the battery to the regulator.

I know others have done this and I would like to know what model/application they’ve used.

The Bosch alternator in my car has obviously been replaced at some time before I got the car, as it is a 90A VW/Audi unit. The original engine is Australian, with a Bosch/Motorcraft distributor, and I guess it may have come with a Bosch alt originally.

The mounts are spaced about 120 degrees and the pictures I’ve seen of 3G units seems to be either 180 or less than 90 degrees so I’m not sure what would fit.

Cheers,
Thomas