[DeTomaso] New Hot Rod article

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Wed Jul 18 17:00:26 EDT 2018

Now there's a custom job done right.  Thanks for that link, Chuck!
Originality, while prized by collectors, is very often quite boring
due to manufacturer restraints on quality in order to keep retail
prices within the reach of a lot of people.
I have an old BSA Victor motorcycle that I fixed up and customized to
my own taste, sparing no expense.  I was showing it at a bike rally a
number of years ago and an old guy with an English accent commented on
how nice a job I did.  Our conversation went something like this:
"You think so?  Thanks.  Lots of people say that I "over-restored" it
or that I strayed too far from the factory look."
"Quite right," he said with a twinkle in his eye, and then went on:
"I was employed at Triumph from the late 60's until we shut.  We would
have built our bikes just the way you have if production costs hadn't
mandated otherwise.  What you have here is the machine we would have
loved to build.  You have taken our simple design and brought out all
of it's potential beauty and lustre."
Well that was just about the highest compliment one could ever hope
for because that's exactly what I was trying to do.  I built the
machine with one idea in mind:
"What would this thing look like if the designers didn't have to
homogenize its' looks and produce it at low cost to profitably sell it
to as many people as possible?"
To me, this Hot Rod article shows a Pantera fixed up to a
high-quality, factory-styled standard.  Nothing cheesy about it.
Well done lads!
 Sent using Hushmail
On 7/18/2018 at 9:19 AM, "Corey Price"  wrote:I like it! Sure I would
do some things different but we’re not all the same. I’m just glad
we’re not all stuck on originality even though the market seems to
push that direction at times.

Corey

> On Jul 18, 2018, at 6:41 AM, cengles at cox.net wrote:
>
>   Dear Forum,
>
>              I *think* this is new.  It is a very positive article.
Does

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1972-detomaso-pantera-coyote-wolfs-clot
>   hing/
>
>                    Warmest regards, Chuck Engles