[DeTomaso] Any Kiwi Panteras?

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 14:50:48 EDT 2018

Good one! I forgot about those zeroes!

-------------- next part --------------
   Good one! I forgot about those zeroes!

   On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 3:25 PM, Mike & Elizabeth Thomas
   <[1]mbefthomas at comcast.net> wrote:

     Which high school did you go to?A  We had plenty of zeros,
     thankfully most of them never made it past the 10th grade . . .
   A "You can't because your calculator will never hold that many zero's.
   Bummer.A  "
   Zeroes were not a problem when I went to school.A  Now where did I
   [6]terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
   > Rob,
   >
   > Yes, that is correct. We are not alone.A  Probably.A  In many of my
   > talks I give some pretty incredible numbers.A  I've attached a shot
   of
   > one of my slides.A  In case it doesn't get thru here are the
   > statistics;
   >
   > The attachment is a map of the entire "visible" universe. Our little
   > galaxy has somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-500 billon stars.
   > Kepler is only one telescope and talks about only what it sees.
   > Scientists think there are at least 1 in 10, (maybe much more) solar
   > systems around our galaxies stars. You can do the math.
   >
   > Now think about the entire universe. They guess there are 380 billon
   > large galaxy's, and 7 trillion dwarf galaxy's.
   > Large galaxy's have 100 trillion stars and dwarf galaxy's have 100m
   > 10billon stars.A  You can do the math.
   > Wait!A  You can't because your calculator will never hold that many
   > zero's.A  Bummer.
   >
   > Fun Fact.
   > I also talk about the Trappist-1 solar system.A  It has the richest
   set
   > of earth-like planets. 7 all in the habitable zone.
   > It is 40 light years away. How long would it take to get there?A  If
   > your Pantera could travel at 38,000mph (same as Voyager 1 or Musk's
   > Tesla), it would take you ~700,000 years to get there.
   > Pack a lunch!A  __
   >
   >A  Ok. 'nuf fun.A  I have to get back to work. I have a spaceship to
   fly.
   > Oh!A  We launched InSight on May 5th. It will land on Mars Nov
   28th.A
   > It will take 7 months to get there. Think about it. It takes us 7
   > months JUST to fly to the next planet in our puny little solar
   system.A
   > Hmmmm?
   >
   > Terry
   >

   > "A Purple Heart proves you were smart enough to hatch a plan,A
   stupid
   > enough to try it and lucky enough to survive!"
   >
   > Terry W. Himes
   > JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
   > Dawn Spacecraft Team
   > Rosetta Sequence Team Lead
   > Phone: (818) 393-6261
   > Cell:A  A  A (818) 653-8213
   > [7]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
   > d--od-,
   >
   > i>>?On 7/5/18, 1:39 PM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Rob Dumoulin" <
   > [8]detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of
   > [9]rob at dumoulins.net>
   > wrote:
   >
   >A  A  A "small world".... NASA Terry can chime in, but it is my
   > understanding that
   >A  A  A based on the exoplanets identified by the Kepler telescope,
   Earth is
   >A  A  A definitely on the "small" side of the scale. Imagine the
   Olympics if we
   >A  A  A ever admit "countries" from planets with a mass twice of
   Earth?