[DeTomaso] DIY Maintenance

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 15:55:32 EST 2018

Was it running strangely before you replaced the plugs and wires?
Sometimes while replacing wires the distributor cap can get tilted or a
holddown clip could pop off (especially in that cramped space behind the
window),  I've put my plug wires on exactly one socket off for all 8 wires
so that's worth checking too.  THe coil wire is always worth checking and
sometimes the power to the coil will fall off if you are using those awful
Ford doohickies instead of positive ignition nuts and washers.

Usual procedure applies:
if it's been down for a while, is it getting fuel?  Try a little starting
fluid.
Is it getting spark? You can check this by taking a wilre off a plug and
using a used plug to see spark (handy to look back at it through the window
if you can position it against the intake manifold).
Is it getting good timing?  That's hardest to check but you can see it in
the distributor rotor if it turns and set it to spark at #1 at intake TDC
to see if it starts.  It's a bit of a rabbithole after that but completely
solvable.

sean

--
'65 Suprang,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera #1382
   Was it running strangely before you replaced the plugs and wires?A
   Sometimes while replacing wires the distributor cap can get tilted or a
   holddown clip could pop off (especially in that cramped space behind
   the window),A  I've put my plug wires on exactly one socket off for all
   8 wires so that's worth checking too.A  THe coil wire is always worth
   checking and sometimes the power to the coil will fall off if you are
   using those awful Ford doohickies instead of positive ignition nuts and
   washers.
   Usual procedure applies:A
   if it's been down for a while, is it getting fuel?A  Try a little
   starting fluid.
   Is it getting spark? You can check this by taking a wilre off a plug
   and using a used plug to see spark (handy to look back at it through
   the window if you can position it against the intake manifold).A A
   Is it getting good timing?A  That's hardest to check but you can see it
   in the distributor rotor if it turns and set it to spark at #1 at
   intake TDC to see if it starts.A  It's a bit of a rabbithole after that
   but completely solvable.
   sean

   On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:46 PM, [1]djenkins at vanguardtrailer.com