[DeTomaso] Anyone looked into converting the aluminum grills behind the windows into air scoops?

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 18:02:14 EST 2018

I'm pretty satisfied with the stock arrangement on the Pantera and Miura
but... I'm completely obsessed with the LP400 prototype and the scoops that
were haphazardly festooned upon it until it would stop overheating.  I see
Fiero kits pretty regularly and it's almost enough for me to pull the
trigger on so I can remove all that gear and return it to it's smooth and
simple blister look.

Knowing what we do about the low pressure turbulent air on the Pantera at
the sugar scoop... enough to raise the heavy deck a few inches at high
speed, I'm convinced that the engine cover grills on the LP004 were
functional and the radiator would have worked just fine without the
additional scoops.  Just... you know... don't wire the fans backwards :)

sean

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso <

--
'65 Suprang,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera #1382
   I'm pretty satisfied with the stock arrangement on the Pantera and
   Miura but... I'm completely obsessed with the LP400 prototype and the
   scoops that were haphazardly festooned upon it until it would stop
   overheating.A  I see Fiero kits pretty regularly and it's almost enough
   for me to pull the trigger on so I can remove all that gear and return
   it to it's smooth and simple blister look.
   Knowing what we do about the low pressure turbulent air on the Pantera
   at the sugar scoop... enough to raise the heavy deck a few inches at
   high speed, I'm convinced that the engine cover grills on the LP004
   were functional and the radiator would have worked just fine without
   the additional scoops.A  Just... you know... don't wire the fans
   backwards :)
   sean

   On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso

     A  A Like this one that I think was what Julian referred to? It
     reminds me
     A  A of Lambo Miura gills- which are non-functional just like the
     Pantera,
     A  A and for the same reasons. Lots of work, too.
     A  A FWIW- J Deryke
     A  A -----Original Message-----
     A  A From: Gray Gregory <[2]rgg at gregorycook.com>
     A  A To: detomaso <[3]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>
     A  A Sent: Sat, Jan 13, 2018 5:03 am
     A  A Subject: [DeTomaso] Anyone looked into converting the aluminum
     grills
     A  A behind the windows into air scoops?
     A  A -----Original Message-----
     A  A From: Gray Gregory
     A  A Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2018 6:12 AM
     A  A To: 'Ken Green' <[1][4]kenn_green at yahoo.com>
     A  A Subject: RE: [DeTomaso] Anyone looked into converting the
     aluminum
     A  A grills behind the windows into air scoops?
     A  A Ken,
     A  A What are you trying to accomplish? Better air flow in the
     engine bay? A
     A  A source of cool air to the intake? Or a ram air effect?
     A  A Gray
     A  A -----Original Message-----
     A  A From: DeTomaso [[2]mailto:[5]detomaso-bounces@
     server.detomasolist.com] On
     A  A Behalf Of Ken Green via DeTomaso
     A  A Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2018 12:09 AM
     A  A To: Pantdino <[3][6]pantdino at aol.com>;
     [4][7]julian_kift at hotmail.com;
     A  A [5][8]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Anyone looked into converting the
     aluminum
     A  A grills behind the windows into air scoops?
     A  A I was thinking that a clear scoop over horizontal fins would
     not alter
     A  A the appearance nearly as much as the big ears?A  From the side,
     it might
     A  A not be distinguishable.A  I like the original look so much that
     the big
     A  A ears replacing the windows just won't work for me.
     A  A Maybe even taper the triangular windows in slightly to pull in
     the
     A  A boundary layer (admittedly not simple).
     A  A Ken
     A  A From: Pantdino <[6][9]pantdino at aol.com>
     A  A To: [7][10]julian_kift at hotmail.com;
     [8][11]kenn_green at yahoo.com;
     A  A [9][12]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     A  A Sent: Friday, January 12, 2018 5:46 PM
     A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Anyone looked into converting the
     aluminum
     A  A grills behind the windows into air scoops?
     A  A I thought photos show air coming OUT of those grill areas when
     they are
     A  A opened up.A  To get air to go IN you have to put on huge scoops
     that
     A  A stick out past the boundary layer of the car, no?
     A  A Jim
     A  A -----Original Message-----
     A  A From: Julian Kift <[10][13]julian_kift at hotmail.com>
     A  A To: Ken Green <[11][14]kenn_green at yahoo.com>; detomaso
     A  A <[12][15]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>
     A  A Sent: Fri, Jan 12, 2018 4:02 pm
     A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Anyone looked into converting the
     aluminum
     A  A grills behind the windows into air scoops?
     A  A Something similar has been done, I recall seeing photos on the
     PI
     A  A forum. IIRC it incorporated the side window in the design, as
     opening
     A  A that area up under the gills for air flow requires significant
     body
     A  A work.
     A  A Julian
     A  A ____________________________________________________________
     ______
     A  A From: DeTomaso <detomaso-[13][16]bounces at server.
     detomasolist.com> on behalf
     A  A of Ken Green via DeTomaso <[14][17]detomaso at server.
     detomasolist.com>
     A  A Sent: Friday, January 12, 2018 3:37 PM
     A  A To: DeTomaso Mail List
     A  A Subject: [DeTomaso] Anyone looked into converting the aluminum
     grills
     A  A behind the windows into air scoops?
     A  A It seems like the aluminum grills are styled like scoops. If
     that area
     A  A is opened up, and horizontal fins are made that provide the
     same
     A  A appearance as the grills, seems like the original look is
     preserved?
     A  A Maybe a clear scoop over the fins?
     A  A Ken
     A  A _______________________________________________
     A  A Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCA Posted emails must
     not
     A  A exceed 1.5 Megabytes DeTomaso mailing list
     A  A [15][18]DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     A  A [16][19]http://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/
     listinfo/detomaso
     A  A To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe,
     etc.)
     A  A use the links above.
     A  A Members who post to this list grant license to the list to
     forward any
     A  A message posted here to all past, current, or future members of
     the
     A  A list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an
     archive
     A  A or approve the archiving of list messages.
     A  A _______________________________________________ Detomaso Email
     List is
     A  A not managed by POCA Posted emails must not exceed 1.5 Megabytes
     A  A DeTomaso mailing list [17][20]DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     A  A [18][21]http://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/
     listinfo/detomaso To manage
     A  A your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use
     the
     A  A links above. Members who post to this list grant license to the
     list to
     A  A forward any message posted here to all past, current, or future
     members
     A  A of the list. They also grant the list owner permission to
     maintain an
     A  A archive or approve the archiving of list messages.
     References
     A  A 1. mailto:[22]kenn_green at yahoo.com
     A  A 2. mailto:[23]detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com?
     A  A 3. mailto:[24]pantdino at aol.com
     A  A 4. mailto:[25]julian_kift at hotmail.com
     A  A 5. mailto:[26]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     A  A 6. mailto:[27]pantdino at aol.com
     A  A 7. mailto:[28]julian_kift at hotmail.com
     A  A 8. mailto:[29]kenn_green at yahoo.com
     A  A 9. mailto:[30]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     A  10. mailto:[31]julian_kift at hotmail.com
     A  11. mailto:[32]kenn_green at yahoo.com
     A  12. mailto:[33]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     A  13. mailto:[34]bounces at server.detomasolist.com
     A  14. mailto:[35]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     A  15. mailto:[36]DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     A  17. mailto:[38]DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     etc.) use the links above.

   --
   Sean Korb [42]spkorb at spkorb.org [43]http://www.spkorb.org
   '65 Suprang,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera #1382