[DeTomaso] Source for basic torque values

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Jan 5 22:23:46 EST 2018

I'll say that I've been around this forum for over 20 years (egad! It's really been that long).  And I agree with Dave.  I was absolutely dumbfounded at how light just a few inch pounds are for an oil pan bolt.  And amazed at how long it didn't leak.

I've been using torque wrenches for over 30 years, not religiously mind you, but pretty much on anything that could fly apart under horsepower, or leak.  ;)

We've had some engineering experts compare published torque specs for the 351C and various Pantera bits against bolt/nut data based on sizes, grade and other specs, on this forum in the past, and as I recall, the results are usually that the published specs are pretty much spot on.  Good enough for me.

Asa

⁣Asa  Jay  Laughton, W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, retired
Sent using Jedi Mind Tricks​

On Jan 5, 2018, 18:33, at 18:33, Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
><You know I've been hanging around this forum for 10 years now and I
>believe this is the first time I ever disagreed with Larry. Outrageous
>isn't it. Perhaps because of some time spent race car building: - you
>should torque-set everything, except when the number is so small that
>you can't approach it smoothly with a small, in-lb wrench. - you should
>always make the same kind of smooth pass on the final turn,     even if
>you're hanging upside down with one arm stuck in a place where arms
>don't fit.>
>
>I agree- ever since I snapped off an OEM oil pan bolt on an installed
>Pantera 351-C.....1/4-20 SAE grade-nothing bolts are sensitive! FWIW- J
>Deryke

-------------- next part --------------
   I'll say that I've been around this forum for over 20 years (egad! It's
   really been that long).A  And I agree with Dave.A  I was absolutely
   dumbfounded at how light just a few inch pounds are for an oil pan
   bolt.A  And amazed at how long it didn't leak.

   I've been using torque wrenches for over 30 years, not religiously mind
   you, but pretty much on anything that could fly apart under horsepower,
   or leak.A  ;)

   We've had some engineering experts compare published torque specs for
   the 351C and various Pantera bits against bolt/nut data based on sizes,
   grade and other specs, on this forum in the past, and as I recall, the
   results are usually that the published specs are pretty much spot on.A
   Good enough for me.

   Asa

   AsaA  JayA  Laughton, W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, retired

   Sent using Jedi Mind Tricks

   On Jan 5, 2018, at 18:33, Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso