[DeTomaso] Source for basic torque values

Dave Londry davel at emspace.com
Fri Jan 5 20:31:11 EST 2018

You know I've been hanging around this forum for 10 years now and I
believe this is the first time I ever disagreed with Larry.
Outrageous isn't it.
Perhaps because of some time spent race car building:
- you should torque-set everything, except when the number is so small
that you can't approach it smoothly with a small, in-lb wrench.
- you should always make the same kind of smooth pass on the final turn,
     even if you're hanging upside down with one arm stuck in a place
where arms don't fit.
- you should always clean fasteners.
- you should always clean the seating area for fastener heads.
- you should always lube fasteners as specified or in your own
consistent way.

You'll notice that most of this is about repeatability.
Dave