[DeTomaso] Fwd: Re: Re: Re: Horns

sobill at aol.com sobill at aol.com
Wed Feb 21 13:25:50 EST 2018

From: sobill at aol.com
To: jjdetrich at gmail.com
Sent: 2/21/2018 10:24:34 AM Pacific Standard Time
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [DeTomaso] Horns

Jeff,

My car didn't have splash guards in the front of the front wheel wells. The horns where totally corroded by water and dirt. I disassembled the housing, clean up the mess, cleaned the electrical make/break contacts, and good to go.

Inside the horn housing  is an electromagnet and a set of contacts. When 12V is applied to the horn, the electromagnet pulls the horn diaphragm in one direction thru the closed make/break contacts. The moving diaphragm opens the make/brake contacts and the diagram returns to the rest position. This cycle repeats and the horn sounds. The horn is just a big buzzer. IIRCC, the horn is tunable for tone. One horn is tuned to one frequency and the other horn is tuned to a different frequency. This difference in frequencies creates that unique "European" sound.

The horn has a single terminal for power. The horn body must must have a good electrical connection to the chassis. When you press the horn button on the turn signal stalk, you should be able to hear the horn relay close even if the horns do not sound. If the horns do not sound and you do not hear the horn relay close, likely the horn relay is the problem. A non-working horn relay can be disassembled and, likely, fixed.

The horn circuit diagram and relay location pictures are attached.

Let me know what you find.

Have fun,

SOBill

The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.
Do the best you can with what you have where you are.
Eat dessert first, life is uncertain.
In a message dated 2/21/2018 9:32:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,