[DeTomaso] Trying to diagnose weak brakes

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 14:04:59 EST 2018

My experience:

The brakes on my car were terrible when I bought the car.  It had sat for
14 years.

The fronts had not been bled properly.  I bled them when I got the car,
but at the time didn¹t know about the bottom bleed.  When I bled the
bottom screws, a lot of orange fluid came out.

They still weren¹t that good, though, so I changed to Porterfield R4S
pads.  Very big difference.

Then I changed to stainless flex lines, which firmed up the pedal a lot.

In this configuration, my car would stop faster than my wife¹s Boxster-S,
which had the big red 911 Brembos.  Very impressive.

I drove it like this for quite a while, until the booster started leaking
air.  Rather than rebuilding the booster (or probably just replacing a
leaking valve), I switched to Wilwood masters, which stopped just as good,
but required more pedal pressure, since I didn¹t have vacuum assist
anymore.

I have wilwood calipers on it now, but I haven¹t driven it enough to
comment.

On 2/17/18, 12:44 PM, "detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf
of jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com" <detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com