[DeTomaso] Trying to diagnose weak brakes

Jeff Cobb jeffcobb1 at me.com
Sat Feb 17 14:03:14 EST 2018

Mike,
Something strikes me as being out of order in the problem-cause and effect diagnosis of understanding and fixing your brake pedal travel problem in reading these back and forth mails. You write as if these problems just appeared.

Seems that your real stated problem is;
-1-perceived or really too much pedal travel.
-2-cannot lock up wheels
Also:
-1-more brake dust on rear wheels versus the fronts.

My questions are simple.
-1-When this problem start?
Not when you first noticed or recognized it, but when it first showed up.
-2-Was this first time problem right after someone worked on it?
-3-Has someone done any adjusting to the pedal unit?

My brake work fixing history has taught me:
--Your #1 and 2 make sense.
--This type of problem #1 and #2 does not just show up
--Also more rear dust than fronts indicates a brake bias imbalance.
  NEVER do rears have more dust than fronts on any car because of laminar air flow.
  The fronts always run hotter which   emits more gas and powder.
--That GM masters NEVER give a tight brake pedal unless they are p/s pumped hydraulic boosted power brake function or
using a vacuum booster with an electric motor vacuum pump.
  The vacuum should be between 16 to 21.
My thoughts to cure your two stated problems.
-1-Make sure the brake pedal to booster pushrod does not have any slack caused by wear and giving sloppy joints,
  That the first pushrod is set correctly so that the pedal is correct height from floor.
  the vacuum booster pushrod to master does not have too much clearance--Should be about .020”.
-2-Then bled your brakes in the correct order; RR-LR-RF-LF.
  while watching for air bubbles and any type of pad to rotor air clearances/movement so to give reasons.
  If doing above work makes no difference “which I would be surprised”.

-3- then you need to plug off the master outputs and see if master travel is non and rock hard.
 When all above is correct and still note problems then you problem is in the fluid/caliper/pad space.

-4-If you had rubber lines you could pinch them off with vise grips and find the soft one.
  Since you do not then a temp gun and some hard 60mph stops will give you your temp rise to grip performance function.
  Do 3 stops then measure/record then do 6 or so more and read and write again.
  Axle temps should be same and fronts are always more.
  The lowest temp unit will be your problem.

Thoughts:
-1-I have had brake problems caused by owners spraying tire shine shit on their wheels. That crap coats and greases the rotors which then kills the pads from gripping.
-2-Also calipers with rubber piston boots that retract the pads more than .002” will cause problems.
-3-Also if the rotors are not dead center to caliper then weird stuff lives on. Calipers can be shimmed to center them.
   Jaguar did that on all of their XJS v12 cars and when I recently removed my Mangustas L rear caliper, mounting shims were present. Which was it first ever removal, so the factory did the shims because of manufacturing differences.

If none of this allows the car to stop better then maybe your pads function temp range is not right for you.
 Take care,
Jeff Cobb

       <[7][13]mbefthomas at comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

      [1][8][14]www.panterasnorthwest.com