[DeTomaso] NPC: space radiation and the interplanetary sports car fate

Chuck and Linda Huber lindahuber at cox.net
Sat Feb 10 08:11:13 EST 2018

I might suggest "torn to pieces" is a little sensational.....

One might not that we have had space probes operating for 40 years (Voyager, Pioneer 10).  We have satellites in GEO orbits, and hardware being bombarded by radiation on the surface of the moon that haven't collapsed into piles of dust.

Terry did caveat it... "It's not quick"

I would suspect the organics / volatiles in the structure interior, tires, etc. would be the most affected, and likely more from the vacuum (volatiles boiling out or sublimating due to vacuum) than the radiation, but  I could be corrected.  Even if the structure of the vehicle was embrittled - this thing is under no load.  So IMHO...  it's just going to sit there.  A car will collapse under its own weight after 50 years of sitting outside (in the rain) here on earth, but that would not be the case in space.

Check back with us in 50 years.

Chuck