[DeTomaso] Longer wheelstuds

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Feb 7 19:49:58 EST 2018

I went thru some of this in fabricating my billet aluminum front hubs and adapting vented rotors to the Pantera rear suspension. What I see as the main problem here is the Pantera's large OD/thin flat head stud that's needed to clear other parts of the wheel ass'y. So-called 'standard' wheel studs all have a small OD relatively high domed head that, if installed in a Pantera hub or axle flange, will solidly contact the suspension uprights in the rear. Unless someone counterbores the dome-head studs deeper into the flanges, or somehow grinds clearance into hardened-steel studs without changing the heat treatment. And as Les said, counterboring will then cause the disc-locating shank to protrude further out thru the brake disc flange and possibly require a custom chamfer in the wheels to accommodate the extra protrusion.

As Pat suggests, it may make more sense to design & build custom studs to specs needed instead of re-engineering a bunch of expansive parts to fit (relatively) cheap existing-design studs. I have a couple of sets of larger 911-Porsche 14mm dome-head wheel studs, and they will fit existing street-Campy wheel insert holes (don't have any GR- 4 or GR-5 wheels around to try) but the fit is tight. I wouldn't want to be the tire guy in a racing pit trying to do fast tire changes  with that combination!
J DeRyke