[DeTomaso] K&N Crankcase Vent Filter - Rubber Disintegrating

Mike & Elizabeth Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Thu Dec 27 12:36:31 EST 2018

I've had a K&N crankcase filter on the engine in 6328 since is it was
rebuilt in '07.  Have realized over the years that the rubber at the base
where it mounts to the valve cover has become heat-hardened and the
retaining lip has begun to disintegrate, obviously dropping little bits of
hard rubber underneath the v-cover and likely into the oil stream.  Not sure
how much hazard this is, and the engine has been running with no issues.
Hoping that it's either collected at the bottom of the pan or has been
caught in the oil filter.

First lesson was obviously that I need to change this one out more often if
I'm going to use this type.  Any thoughts/comments on any risks I may now
have before me?

Thanks

Mike Thomas

Pres., Panteras Northwest