[DeTomaso] ‘‘Twas the Night Before Christmas

Scott Mead Photography scott at scottmeadphotography.com
Tue Dec 25 11:58:24 EST 2018

‘Twas the day before Christmas and I’m in the garage, trying to figure out what the heck was going on.

The AC system that I paid big bucks for, never worked well, not really not at all.

It leaked like a sieve from day number one, the vendor who installed it told me to pound sand and move on.

One day I was driving at a tick past 80, with other cars flying by me on the 210 freeway.

It was a slightly warm day, and I said what the hell, let’s flick on the AC and see if it’ll chill.

When all of a sudden I had such a fright, there was sudden big wooshing sound, a  white cloud obscured my rear sight.

I threw in the clutch and checked all the gauges, oil pressure and temp good, my fear faded.

I pulled off the freeway and open the rear hatch only to find a massive caster oil mess.

The AC had blown, that was clearly the case, so I drove the car home and put the car cover in place.

Christmas Eve came, I went out to the garage. As Santa was coming to help me along.

I pulled off a wheel, and splash shield in my way, dropped the AC lines and condenser from the engine bay.

I had to laugh as I looked at the damage, One tube had blown, like a firework package.

lo and behold Santa arrived, he jumped from his Mongo box truck, a wrapped package inside.

I ripped away the paper with reckless abandon, pulled out the new condenser as my heart pitter-pattered.

Shiny aluminum with all the right fittings, Santa and I started reassembly: new hoses, valves and a dryer for good measure.

The vacuum pump was fitted, drawing every ounce of air out. The gauge never wavered, the seal was finally stout!

I fired the car with a thunderous roar, waking the neighbors and shaking their floors.

R134 started flowing  soon after, filling the tubes, chilled by the gasses.

The thermometer probe said it all, a chilly 42 degrees meant all was well.

With a twinkle in eye and foot on the gas, it was time for the Pantera to finally haul ass.

The speedo hitting 80 and cool air on my face I wish you a Merry Christmas, and you win every street race!