[DeTomaso] intake manifold

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 12:03:54 EST 2018

> Curious nobody said weiand intake.

The Weiand X-Celerator 351V-4V (p/n 7517) has always been middle of the
pack in our testing.  Like most of the single planes, it gives up a fair
bit of power below torque peak.  On milder combinations, it may never make
up for it on the top end.  Of the domestic single planes (ignoring the
taller Australian intermediate port intakes like the CHI or Parker
Funnelweb), the Holley Strip Dominator is usually the best.

> It is a 351 Cleveland with a hydraulic flat lifters. Should do about 375
hp

What are the cam specs?  The engine sounds a lot like Lori Drew's 351C:

 http://www.the351cforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=656

An Edelbrock Performer 4V with plenum work to equalize the runners and a 1"
spacer should be all you need.  Note that Dave McLain also flared the ends
of the runners out.  In unmodified form, the Performer 4V has runners that
are smaller than the 4V Cleveland head intake ports.  Any time flow goes
from a smaller to larger opening, the velocity drops.  The port matching is
an attempt to make that a bit less abrupt.  In our dyno testing, the
Performer worked better with an HVH 1" spacer than a 4 hole 1" spacer.  For
Lori's engine, Dave modified a 4 hole spacer into a design with two oval
shaped holes to match the oval holes on the dual plane Performer intake.
That spacer helped torque by about 5 lbs-ft but peak HP was unchanged.
With your throttle body injection, I'd also try a Holley Street Dominator
2V.  I'd expect it to work well on that combination.

Dan Jones

-------------- next part --------------
   > Curious nobody said weiand intake.
   The Weiand X-Celerator 351V-4V (p/n 7517) has always been middle of the
   pack in our testing.A  Like most of the single planes, it gives up a
   fair bit of power below torque peak.A  On milder combinations, it may
   never make up for it on the top end.A  Of the domestic single planes
   (ignoring the taller Australian intermediate port intakes like the CHI
   or Parker Funnelweb), the Holley Strip Dominator is usually the best.A
   > It is a 351 Cleveland with a hydraulic flat lifters. Should do about
   375 hp
   What are the cam specs?A  The engine sounds a lot like Lori Drew's
   351C:
   A [1]http://www.the351cforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=656
   An Edelbrock Performer 4V with plenum work to equalize the runners and
   a 1" spacer should be all you need.A  Note that Dave McLain also flared
   the ends of the runners out.A  In unmodified form, the Performer 4V has
   runners that are smaller than the 4V Cleveland head intake ports.A  Any
   time flow goes from a smaller to larger opening, the velocity drops.A
   The port matching is an attempt to make that a bit less abrupt.A  In
   our dyno testing, the Performer worked better with an HVH 1" spacer
   than a 4 hole 1" spacer.A  For Lori's engine, Dave modified a 4 hole
   spacer into a design with two oval shaped holes to match the oval holes
   on the dual plane Performer intake.A  That spacer helped torque by
   about 5 lbs-ft but peak HP was unchanged.A  With your throttle body
   injection, I'd also try a Holley Street Dominator 2V.A  I'd expect it
   to work well on that combination.
   Dan Jones

   On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 9:14 AM Rich Hoppe <[2]richbhoppe at gmail.com>
   wrote:

     A  A Thanks for all the info.
     A  A I ended up doing a 4v iron head motor.
     A  A I plan to install the Holley throttle body fuel injection
     system.
     A  A It is a 351 Cleveland with a hydraulic flat lifters.
     A  A Should do about 375 hp
     A  A Curious nobody said weiand intake.
     A  A For a long time they were highly regarded
     A  A Rich
     A  A On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 10:41 PM Ken Green
     <[1][3]kenn_green at yahoo.com>
     A  A wrote:
     A  A Do you mean the Holley EFI with injectors in the throttle body,
     or a
     A  A manifold with 8 injector pockets added?AA  I recall someone
     saying that
     A  A a single plain manifold is better with EFI, but that may only
     be with
     A  A the injectors in the manifold.
     A  A I have a Weiand manifold with injectors added and it all fits
     under the
     A  A screen.AA  The 4V throttle body isn't as tall and a Holly carb,
     but
     A  A maybe lose some power without a spacer under the throttle body.
     A  A Ken Inline image
     A  A
     A __________________________________________________________________
     A  A From: Rich Hoppe <[2][4]richbhoppe at gmail.com>
     A  A To: [3][5]detomaso at detomasolist.com
     A  A Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2018 3:09 PM
     A  A Subject: [DeTomaso] intake manifold
     A  A AA  I am building an engine for my daughters car.
     A  A AA  I have an edlebrock high rise intake for a 4v that is not
     made any
     A  A AA  more, but I think it is too tall.
     A  A AA  So what is the best manifold for a 4v iron head holley fuel
     A  A injection
     A  A AA  motor?
     A  A AA  thanks Rich
     A  A _______________________________________________
     A  A Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCA
     A  A Posted emails must not exceed 1.5 Megabytes
     A  A DeTomaso mailing list
     A  A [4][6]DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     A  A To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe,
     etc.)
     A  A use the links above.
     A  A Members who post to this list grant license to the list to
     forward any
     A  A message posted here to all past, current, or future members of
     the
     A  A list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an
     archive
     A  A or approve the archiving of list messages.