[DeTomaso] The Water Restrictor Plate Below the Thermostat

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 2 22:44:33 EST 2018

Larry,

Panteras came with standard thermostats. Standard thermostats are not ‘high flow’. Those weren’t even invented back then, I don’t think.

I have removed original thermostats from original Pantera engines. I used to have one as a visual aid but I must have thrown it out, as I can’t find it now. It was seriously crusty but still worked. Standard style, Ford markings, 19x degrees (192 or 195, I still can’t remember).

I’m with you—I would buy the Tim Meyer version over the cheap ones, although it’s just for superstitious reasons. I can’t say I have ever heard of a quantifiable improvement that resulted from using one over the other.

John Christian once explained to me the argument against blocking off the bypass passage (either with a water pump that lacks the port, or a blockoff plate).  Thermal shock, cavitation, steam pockets etc were some of the reasons he gave.

He helped invent the 351C so I’ll take him at his word!  Note that I don’t claim any specific expertise. I just know and trust some really smart people. :)

Mike

Sent from my iPad